Saturday, December 15, 2012

Finding Focus

As many people know I took a rather long hiatus from knitting/spinning and fiber arts in general. As a friend of mine pointed out I was busy creating humans. Now that I’m back I recognize a difference in my choices of patterns. Maybe it’s because I had time to step back and reflect. Maybe it’s the lack of time now means having to make my craved out space of time really mean something. I discovered along the way that I don’t in fact wear socks very often if ever. I don’t wear hats. I don’t wear scarves. I don’t wear thick wool sweaters either. I finally had the revelation that in fact I don’t actually like scarves because they only warm your neck and don’t work for me. I don’t wear socks, well because I just don’t. I don’t like to wear hats because of hat-head, and thick wool sweaters are only useful in the early morning and late evening in Florida. What I do like to wear are cardigans because they are easily layered. I like wearing Mittens/gloves for those cold days in the office or quick trips between car and destination. Shawls/Wraps are wonderful because they can be easily carried around for those times in a cold restaurant or cold room. I can’t tell you how wonderful it is to have a clear focus in selecting projects. While yes I may think this or that sock pattern is completely amazing, it would not be worth it for me to knit as it will end up with all the other lonely socks that never get worn. Does that mean I will never knit or wear handknit socks, hats, scarves, or thick wool sweaters? Absolutely not. But I will be more selective and they will probably be knit from a cotton blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment